Friday, September 26, 2014

The End of Summer

One last hurrah
Summer is a fleeting thing in Maine. It starts out cold and muddy. You can't really believe the snow is finally melting. Each year you forget what it's like to wear shorts and walk barefoot in the grass. In the frigid depths of January you are convinced you'll never need that rickity old air conditioner in the basement. But for a few marvelous weeks straddling July and August it is one of the greatest places on earth.

This summer was especially marvelous. After months of planning and anticipation Jenna and I got married on August 2nd. We spent labor day weekend in Camden, Maine where we sailed The Appledore under a setting sun. In July I hiked Mt. Katahdin in Baxter State Park (really more of a boulder climb than a hike). On one overcast and rainy day we channeled spring break by tubing down the Saco river. On July 5th we surprised Jenna on Peaks Island for her 30th birthday and were treated to an amazing view of the Portland fireworks which had fortuitously been delayed due to rain. We attempted to deny the coming of Fall by spending a week in a beach house in Lavalette, New Jersey a.k.a the Jersey Shore.

But alas Fall has arrived despite our best efforts. The leaves are turning red and yellow and you have to wear a coat to work. But today was different. It started off cold but the temperature soon rose and by afternoon it was quite warm. It felt like summer again. The windows were open. My shorts were on. I decided to enjoy one last night of summer and grill hamburgers in the back yard. While I stood over the grill and listened to the burgers sizzle I thought back to all the wonderful times I had this summer with all of my friends and family. I said my goodbyes to summer and accepted the return of Fall.

But not quite yet....

We've decided to delay summer again by one more week. Tomorrow we'll get on a plane and fly towards an endless summer. Our destination is Positano, Italy on the Amalfi coast. It will be 80 degrees. I will swim in the ocean. I will wear shorts. I will walk barefoot on the beach. I will enjoy one last week of summer until Fall comes and then we do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment