Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Final Countdown

I'm sitting at Vino Volo restaurant in Terminal E of Boston Logan Airport. I've had my passport checked twice now and my boarding pass sports a bright green stripe with the Italian carrier name Alitalia. Despite all this it still doesn't feel real yet. I feel like I'm going to step off the plane and it's going to be Orlando instead.

You're going where?
Though I'm in the international terminal everything still screams America. The Dunkin Donuts with its neon pink and orange, the Burger King with it's long line of hungry travelers, and this Snickers bar I just bought at the shop next door.

At some point though I'm expecting this to change. I'll find myself awaking to a dream world where I can't understand what people are saying and I can't read the signs and instructions. The only American thing will be me.

I'm a little anxious and unsure what to expect. The last time I traveled to Europe was in 2004 at the end of my senior year at Bates College. My brother was a participant in the WOOF program growing exotic plants in foreign lands. We decided to meet up for a two week jaunt down the French Riveria. I flew into Amsterdam's Schipol airport where Pat met me at the gate. We established ourselves in a tiny hotel room off Dam Square and set our sights on finding a coffee shop where we could sample the local goods. I remember sitting in the square relaxing, watching street performers juggle fire, and being purely in the moment.

Don't worry, I helped.
It was a transition period in my life. Graduation was looming and I was stepping out into the Real World™. Today I am much more stable in my life. I have been in Maine for eight years and I have started to grow roots. I'm hoping this stability will lay the foundation for a memorable experience. I can focus all my attention on Jenna and on my surroundings without dwelling on uncertain future plans.

The check has just been delivered. Jenna is finishing up her glass of Pinot Grigio and then it's off to score a travel pillow and eye mask before boarding time.

See you in Positano!






1 comment: